[NHDOE-ETNews] Ed Tech Grant Writing Tips

Higgins, Cathy CHiggins at ed.state.nh.us
Wed Oct 14 16:05:57 EDT 2009

A message about writing grant proposals:

At last week's information session for the Ed Tech Grants, we were able
to catch Dr. Robert McLaughlin (he moves fast!) to speak for a few
minutes to the group in attendance about grant writing tips. I have
included below a copy of the advice he shared at the session. Bob
manages the Professional Educator Preparation Program Approval process
at the NHDOE for his "day job", but he also is an experienced grant
writer and is well versed in educational technology matters. If you are
in the process of writing an Ed Tech grant proposal but were not able to
attend the meeting on October 7, you will want to review the grant
writing tips contained below. If you have specific questions for Bob,
you can find his contact information below, as well.

-Cathy
------------------------
Dr. Cathy Higgins, State Educational Technology Director
Office of Educational Technology, NH Department of Education
101 Pleasant St, Concord, NH 03301
Voice: 603-271-2453 *** Fax: 603-271-1953
OET Website: www.nheon.org/oet
ETNews: www.nheon.org/oetb

Thoughts for Writing Ed Tech Grant Proposals

1.	Focus on your priorities for improving students' learning
results, learning opportunities and learning climate.

2.	Engage your staff in a schoolwide conversation about their
shared, data-driven priorities for improving student learning.

3.	Ironically, engage especially your least tech-savvy educators in
driving tech planning, because they don't care about technology for its
own sake. They'll care for and use it only if they are convinced it'll
help them with what they do care about - their students' learning.

4.	Use grant proposal writing to start partnerships that will pay
off, even if you don't get the grant - e.g., the Quaglia Institute for
Student Aspirations agreed in a grant proposal I submitted on 10/6/09 to
pilot adaptation of their My Voice survey for use in educator
preparation programs. We'll now do this even without the grant.

5.	Be bold in whom you approach to be a grant partner. Go after the
very best folks in the nation - e.g., in the proposal I just submitted I
got the agreement of the national Commission on Teaching and America's
Future (www.nctaf.org <http://www.nctaf.org/>  and www.learningteams.org
<http://www.learningteams.org/> ) to be a partner because they loved the
proposal concept and it fit with how they hope to prove the
effectiveness of their ideas in local "testbed" sites.

6.	The fact that you're representing "just" an LEA is not a
handicap. National leaders in education innovation are constantly
looking for diverse LEAs to work with them, as it helps prove the
feasibility of their innovations.  This also helps the LEA, of course,
because (a) it increases your chances of getting the grant (because of
the credibility it adds to have landed great partners), (b) the national
partner can bring their own resources to the project, (c) you can now
ask them to partner in other proposals, and (d) you can network with
them to later connect with other national partners as well in future
projects (just ask them whom else they'd recommend for a proposal as,
for example, a stellar and nationally respected external evaluator).

Robert T. McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Professional Educator Preparation Program Approval
New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
Office:		1.603.271.2634
Anytime:	1.603.509.2728
Fax:		1.603.271.8709

This e-mail is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute,
disclose or use the information it contains, please e-mail the sender
immediately and delete this message from your system.