[NHDOE-ETNews] Recent Press Release from ISTE

Higgins, Cathy CHiggins at ed.state.nh.us
Tue Apr 13 14:18:30 EDT 2010

The following press release from the International Society for
Technology in Education (ISTE) was just released. It is being shared
here as an FYI to the field.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 25, 2010
CONTACT: Marlene Nesary, ISTE,1.541.302.3789, mnesary at iste.org
Pat Walsh, The Ulum Group, 1.541.434.7021, pwalsh at ulum.com
Statement of ISTE on NETP, National Broadband Plan,
ESEA Blueprint, FY11 Budget
In recent weeks, the Obama Administration has released several plans,
policies, and ideas for continuing its efforts to provide a world-class
education to all of our nation's students. But with so many education
issues circulating, says Don Knezek, CEO of the International Society
for Technology in Education (ISTE), "we're deeply concerned that the
federal government may be neglecting its previous commitments to strong
and dedicated education technology efforts."
Collectively, the ESEA Reauthorization Blueprint, the National Broadband
Plan, and the National Education Technology Plan identify technology as
a key component of a 21st century education. Despite this rhetorical
support, the President's FY2011 budget recommends eliminating direct
funding and support for education technology by zeroing out the
Enhancing Education Through Technology (EETT) program.
"Rhetoric isn't enough to move a grand plan forward," says Knezek. "We
also need to dedicate resources and systematic effort to the task."
EETT was designed and has proven to be an effective catalyst for
transforming our education system and providing our students with the
skills they need to succeed in an increasingly digital world. Since
1994, there has been a continuous federal pipeline of direct education
technology support. In many cases, this federal support provides the
only means schools have to make 21st century learning investments in
tools and digital resources, leadership, professional development and
curriculum adaptations that take full productive advantage of
technology.
The National Education Technology Plan, Transforming American Education:
Learning Powered by Technology states, "Just as technology is at the
core of virtually every aspect of our daily lives and work, we must
leverage it to provide engaging and powerful learning experiences,
content, and resources and assessments that measure student achievement
in more complete, authentic, and meaningful ways." Connecting America
-National Broadband Plan emphasizes that "Broadband can be an important
tool to help educators, parents, and students meet major challenges in
education ... and broadband enabled solutions hold tremendous promise to
help reverse patterns of low achievement."
If we accept the premise of these plans, we must move swiftly to restore
dedicated funding for education technology efforts. We must ensure that
education technology is integrated into current K-12 programs and has
the direct and dedicated support it requires.
Currently, the U.S. Department of Education's reauthorization blueprint
refers to education technology as simply an allowable activity under
other ESEA program areas. This runs contrary to both the current
national broadband and education technology plans. It's counterintuitive
to what millions of teachers are experiencing each and every school day.
Education technology is a necessity and a non-negotiable to school
improvement and student success.
"Anything short of a dedicated commitment to education technology is
potentially destructive to our schools, our classrooms, and our
students," says Knezek.
"For all students to achieve the college and career success we seek,
they must experience a strong foundation of digital skills, robust
connectivity, and 21st century teaching and learning. ISTE is committed
to the Administration's goal of providing all children with a
high-quality 21st century education. We agree this should be a top
national priority. We pledge to work with national leaders to ensure
that dedicated financial and programmatic support for education
technology remains a cornerstone of our K-12 efforts."

About ISTE
The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) is the
trusted source for professional development, knowledge generation,
advocacy and leadership for innovation. ISTE is the premier membership
association for educators and education leaders engaged in improving
teaching and learning by advancing the effective use of technology in
PK-12 and teacher education. Home of the National Educational Technology
Standards (NETS) and ISTE's annual conference and exposition, ISTE
represents more than 100,000 professionals worldwide. We support our
members with information, networking opportunities and guidance as they
face the challenge of transforming education. Visit www.iste.org to
learn more about ISTE and its new initiatives -- including the next
generation of NETS for Students, Teachers and Administrators.
ISTE is the registered trademark of International Society for Technology
in Education.

Regards,
Cathy