[NHDOE-ETNews] FW: Press Release: Education Leaders Urge Administration to Reconsider Lack of Direct Investment Ed Tech

Higgins, Cathy CHiggins at ed.state.nh.us
Wed Feb 3 16:36:49 EST 2010

FYI

From: Tera Daniels [mailto:tdaniels at setda.mmsend.com] On Behalf Of Tera
Daniels
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:15 PM
To: Higgins, Cathy
Subject: Press Release: Education Leaders Urge Administration to
Reconsider Lack of Direct Investment Ed Tech

 <http://images.magnetmail.net/images/clients/SETDA/Emailbanner.jpg>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 3, 2010

CONTACT:

CoSN:  Jennifer Cummings (202)  822-9491 jcummings at cosn.org
<mailto:jcummings at cosn.org>

ISTE: Marlene Nesary, (541) 302-3789,
mnesary at iste.org<mailto:mnesary at iste.org
<mailto:mnesary at iste.org%3cmailto:mnesary at iste.org> >

SETDA: Sara Hall (410) 279-3368, shall at setda.org<mailto:shall at setda.org
<mailto:shall at setda.org%3cmailto:shall at setda.org> >

Education Leaders Urge Administration to Reconsider Lack of Direct
Investment in Education Technology; Support Infusion of Technology
Throughout New ESEA

Washington, DC - Associations representing state, district, and
building-level educators - the Consortium for School Networking (CoSN),
the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), and the
State Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA) - today
reacted to the Obama Administration FY11 education budget request. In
proposing to infuse technology throughout other program requests the
proposed budget consolidates the Enhancing Education Through Technology
program (EETT; ESEA Title II, Part D), robbing it of its capability to
drive significant innovation and change.

The associations released the following joint statement:

"While there are elements of the President's proposed budget that are
laudable, we remain extremely concerned that the Administration has
elected to defund EETT in its FY11 Budget Proposal and urge the
Administration and Congress to restore adequate funding for this
critical program. Congress and the President included EETT as a core
provision of the current ESEA law in recognition of the importance of
driving the next generation of innovations in teaching and learning,
assessment and continuous improvement, and cost-efficiency in
coordination with other federal, state and local school improvement
strategies. We fear that years of investments through EETT and the
E-Rate, coupled with American Recovery and Reinvestment Act investment,
may be devalued or lost entirely without adequately funding EETT or a
successor program.

"We were very pleased to hear the Obama Administration's commitment to
infusing technology across the range of its proposed programs and school
reform initiatives announced this week. We fully concur that, as the
President stated, 'technology, when used creatively and effectively, can
transform education and training.' We would like to see those sentiments
translated into specific, tangible allocations that meaningfully
incorporate technology throughout the Administration's new vision for
ESEA and to the benefit of all students. In our view, a newly
reauthorized ESEA must infuse technology across all program areas and be
supported by targeted research, evaluation and investments that enhance
state and local educational technology leadership and capacity, educator
professional development, and technology-based innovation.

"We look forward to working with the Administration and Congress to
usher in a new era of dramatic educational improvement, supported by
smart, strategic and sustainable investments in educational technology."

About CoSN, ISTE, SETDA:

The Consortium for School Networking (CoSN) is the country's premier
voice in education technology leadership, serving K-12 technology
leaders who through their strategic use of technology, improve teaching
and learning. For further information, visit www.cosn.org
<http://www.mmsend9.com/ls.cfm?r=75250924&sid=8566709&m=923982&u=SETDA&s
=http://www.cosn.org/> .

The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) is the
premier membership association for educators and education leaders
engaged in improving teaching and learning by advancing excellence and
the effective use of technology in PK-12 and teacher education. Home of
NETS and ISTE's annual conference and exposition, ISTE represents more
than 100,000 professionals worldwide. www.iste.org
<http://www.mmsend9.com/ls.cfm?r=75250924&sid=8566710&m=923982&u=SETDA&s
=http://www.iste.org/> .

The State Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA) is the
principal association representing the technology leadership of state
departments of education. The SETDA membership includes educational
technology directors from the state departments of education of all
fifty states, the District of Columbia, Bureau of Indian Affairs,
American Samoa and the US Virgin Islands. http://www.setda.org
<http://www.mmsend9.com/ls.cfm?r=75250924&sid=8566711&m=923982&u=SETDA&s
=http://www.setda.org/>

 <http://www.mmsend9.com/spacer.cfm?tracking_id=4851248045>