[NHDOE-ETNews] NEW! NH Homeless Education Course Available through OPEN NH! Registration is open!

Higgins, Cathy CHiggins at ed.state.nh.us
Fri Jan 15 17:12:51 EST 2010

This message is from Dr. Lynda Thistle Elliott, State Director for Homeless Education, about the newest OPEN NH course:

Dear Local Homeless Education Liaisons,

We're excited to offer a course specifically on Homeless Education through OPEN NH! This is an excellent opportunity to work as a team in your district to develop district/school strategies for the identification and enrollment of students in homeless situations OR design a project/activity to address an identified need!  Whether you are a new liaison or a seasoned 'veteran' this course is for you!

If your district receives Title I Part A funds, this is an approved activity for use of the Title I Part A setaside funds for homeless! Contact your district Title I Part A project manager for information on how to access these funds.

If your district has a subgrant of McKinney-Vento ARRA funds or McKinney-Vento regular funds - you may use your grant award to participate in this class and include other members of your district to participate with you!  A simple project amendment may be required. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Please share this announcement in your district.

Dr. Lynda Thistle Elliott
State Director Homeless Education/TI Coordinator
NH Department of Education
101 Pleasant St.
Concord, NH  03301
603-271-3840 voice
603-271-2760 fax
====================

ORIGINAL OPEN NH NOTICE:

NH e-Learning for Educators offers new course through OPEN NH!

Homeless Children and Youth: Ensuring School Access and Academic Success for Our Most At Risk Students

This course engages local homeless education liaisons, Title I managers, special educators, and other interested individuals (i.e., school nurses, teachers, guidance counselors, administrators) in acquiring knowledge, skills, and perspectives of the educational needs and
challenges of homeless children and youth, from the perspective of the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act. An explicit goal of this course is to assist districts in the identification and immediate enrollment of children and youth in homeless situations.
Participants will work to identify the specific challenges and needs of unaccompanied youth - including youth in their school service area that may have already disengaged (dropped out) from school. Youth outreach strategies to identify and re-connect youth to education for completion of high school, and in some cases, preparation for post secondary education will be covered. Activities in this course include readings, video resources, and postings to the online discussion area. The final project for this course involves developing local strategies, policies, and practices to identify and remove educational barriers and develop
community collaboration strategies to assist homeless families, children, and youth.

Registrations are now being accepted for the Winter Session of OPEN NH courses.  The 7 week, 30 hour online professional development courses will run from February 2nd through March 23rd.  The complete list of OPEN NH professional development courses offered during the upcoming Winter Session can be found on the website at:  www.opennh.org
<http://www.opennh.org/> , select Courses, select Current Course Schedule.  Course descriptions can also be found on the Courses page.

Deals for Districts include 25 seats in any of our 7 week 30 hour online professional development courses for $1900 or 5 seats for $450.  The OPEN NH Winter 2010 Session will begin on February 2nd, and run through March 23rd. Graduate credits are available through Plymouth State University at additional cost.

Please visit the website at www.opennh.org <http://www.opennh.org/>  for updates and details and a downloadable registration form.  OPEN NH is sponsored by NH e-Learning for Educators Project, which represents a partnership between the New Hampshire Department of Education and New Hampshire Public Television.

For more information on the course, contact: Lynda Thistle Elliott,
603-271-3840, lthistleelliott at ed.state.nh.us
<mailto:lthistleelliott at ed.state.nh.us> .

For more information on the OPEN NH or e-Learning for Educators program,
contact:  Stan Freeda, 603.271.5132, sfreeda at ed.state.nh.us
<mailto:sfreeda at ed.state.nh.us> .