[NHDOE-ETNews] TIME SENSITIVE: Science Educators' Input Needed

Higgins, Cathy CHiggins at ed.state.nh.us
Thu Jul 22 08:39:19 EDT 2010

Please share this with your colleagues who teach science.

NH Science Educators: We need your input!

There is a national effort to create a framework for new national
science education standards. We need your input now! Read all about this
effort at the National Academies' Board on Science Education
<http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bose/Standards_Framework_Homepage.htm
l>  website. The New Hampshire Department of Education invites you to
provide feedback on the draft Conceptual Framework for New Science
Education Standards. As a science educator in New Hampshire, your input
and that of your colleagues will be brought back to the Board of Science
Education (BOSE) to be used in their preparation of the final Conceptual
Framework. NAS has reached out to the science officers in each state to
ensure that we can provide the NAS with salient, reflective comments on
their draft.

How can I provide feedback?

Step 1: Please take the time to read this document
<http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bose/Standards_Framework_Preliminary_
Public_Draft.pdf> as thoroughly as possible prior to providing your
feedback.

Step 2: Please use this Google Form
<http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dFpjbUhXd0ptM2VOd
ER5VWpxcHB6aUE6MQ#gid=0>  to give us your input by no later than
Wednesday, July 28, to help us craft a response from the New Hampshire
Department of Education.

Step 3: Provide feedback directly to the National Research Council by
clicking the link on the bottom of the Conceptual Framework Draft Cover
Letter page
<http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bose/Standards_Framework_Public_Draft
_Cover_Letter.html> . The national survey will be open until August 2nd,
but we strongly recommend doing this one sooner.

The National Board on Science Education is on a timeline to create a
summary report to submit to the National Academy of Sciences by August
20th. This is why the timeline for input is so tight.

Next Steps

There will be additional opportunity to learn about and discuss the
framework after August 2nd. Further information will be posted in the
NHDOE Key Messages and on this site to encourage additional input as the
frameworks initiative moves forward and our state considers adoption of
the standards.

Questions

If you have any questions about the conceptual framework, the national
standards, or the feedback surveys, please contact Stan Freeda in the
Office of Educational Technology at the New Hampshire Department of
Education. [Stan Freeda at 603-271-5132 or sfreeda at ed.state.nh.us]

Regards,

Cathy Higgins, Ed.D.

State Educational Technology Director