[NHDOE-ETNews] Mark your calendars for the next New Media Literacies Webinar on March 18 at 7pm

Higgins, Cathy CHiggins at ed.state.nh.us
Wed Mar 10 15:52:14 EST 2010

Dear NH Educators:
The next webinar is coming up soon! Our own NH team is working with the New Media Literacies folks to create these webinars, which are available worldwide. There are participants in these webinars from far and wide. I’d like to encourage you to spend some time next Thursday evening joining the webinar. All you need is your computer, your web browser, and a good Internet connection. It’s helpful if your computer has a microphone, but if not, you can still participate using the text chat feature in the webinar system. The message below from NML gives you more details.
Regards,
Cathy
Dr. Cathy Higgins, State Educational Technology Director
Voice: 603-271-2453 *** Fax: 603-271-1953

The New Media Literacies Webinar Series continues to explore how we might best equip young people with the social skills and cultural competencies required to become full participants in an emergent media landscape through our 2nd in a series of monthly webinars for K-12 educators.
Theme: Networking and Negotiation as Skills in a Global Classroom
In this session we will look at these skills as valuable and necessary in the context of K-12 education. Joining us will be special guest Hillary Kolos <http://newmedialiteracies.org/about-us/> , MIT Comparative Media Studies research assistant, to discuss her experiences using these new media literacy skills in public school classrooms, as well educator reflections from our early adopter network in New Hampshire.
Each NML webinar explores the skills needed for full engagement in today's participatory culture as outlined in the white paper Confronting the Challenges of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st Century <http://www.newmedialiteracies.org/files/working/NMLWhitePaper.pdf>  (Henry Jenkins et al., 2006), as well discussion around the three core challenges identified in this research: the participation gap, the transparency problem and the ethics challenge.
The series is developed by NML staff and researchers in conjunction with cutting edge educators. Each session will feature expert guest speakers, interactive tools and resources for educators, as well as time for participation and discussion around implementing this work in the classroom. Follow-up discussions and live chat sessions will take place via the NML Ning community site.
Join us by linking to this Elluminate Meeting Room on Thursday, March 18th from 7-8:30 p.m. EST using this link: https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/launch/meeting.jnlpsid=voffice&password=M.0D40B502DA193CDA7C5579F7D8173A