[NHDOE-ETNews] Don't miss the NML Webinar tonight at 7 PM !

Higgins, Cathy CHiggins at ed.state.nh.us
Thu May 13 13:48:58 EDT 2010

NML Skills: Performance, Play and Identity
Thursday, May 13th  7-8:30PM EST

The New Media Literacies Webinar Series continues to explore how we
might best equip young people with the social skills and cultural
competencies required to become full participants in an emergent media
landscape through our 4th in a series of monthly webinars focused on
K-12 education. Join the next NML webinar using this link next Thursday
evening at 7pm:
https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/launch/meeting.jnlpsid=voffice&
password=M.0D40B502DA193CDA7C5579F7D8173A

Taking the discussion beyond gaming to look at the critical nature of
performance and play in both online and offline learning, Erin Reilly,
NML Research Director, will lead a discussion examining the ways these
skills can be employed across curricula and grade level, and
specifically how they lend themselves to exploration through 'identity'.
We will play together as a group through a participatory, educator-led
activity using these skills in action. Each of the NML webinars is
designed for participants to:

> Explore selected skills needed for full engagement in today's
participatory culture as outlined in the white paper Confronting the
Challenges of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st
Century (Henry Jenkins et al., 2006)

> Encourage discussion around the three core challenges identified in
this research: the participation gap, the transparency problem and the
ethics challenge.

The series is developed by NML staff and researchers in conjunction with
cutting edge educators, including an NML Early Adopters Group of six New
Hampshire teachers representing schools in Keene, Deerfield, Litchfield,
Pittsfield, Barrington, and Somersworth. (Come join the webinar to see
who these adventurous educators are!)

Each of the eight sessions (see full schedule below) features expert
guest speakers, interactive tools and resources for educators to explore
and take away, as well as time for brainstorming practical
implementation of these concepts in practice. Follow-up discussions and
live chat sessions will take place on subsequent Tuesdays via the NML
Ning community at http://projectnml.ning.com (registration is free for
this online Ning community).

Regards,
Cathy