[NHDOE-ETNews] Need Middle and High Schools for Pilot Survey for UNH Internet safety education research

Higgins, Cathy CHiggins at ed.state.nh.us
Thu Jun 9 15:01:40 EDT 2011

Here is a great opportunity to involve your school in a valuable project on Internet Safety Education:

The Crimes Against Children Research Center (CCRC) at UNH is looking for NH middle and high schools to partner with for research on Internet Safety Education.  Specifically they are looking for schools willing to help pilot a new youth survey about safety and behavior using the Internet and new technologies.  Project details are included below. The CCRC would like to continue to serve as a resource to those schools that partner with the CCRC. If you are interested, please contact Lisa Jones directly (contact information is included below).

Regards,

Cathy Higgins, Ed.D.

State Educational Technology Director

Office of Educational Technology

New Hampshire Department of Education

Email: chiggins at ed.state.nh.us

Phone: 603.271.2453

Web: http://www.nheon.org/oet/ <http://www.nheon.org/oet/>  and http://education.nh.gov/instruction/ed_tech <http://education.nh.gov/instruction/ed_tech/index.htm>

WHO WE ARE

The CCRC, located at the University of New Hampshire (UNH), has served as a national resource center on child victimization and abuse since 1998.  Its director, David Finkelhor, Ph.D., is well known for his conceptual and empirical work on the problem of child sexual abuse. For the past decade, the CCRC has been one of the leading research and policy centers to focus on issues related to technology and children's safety.  Eight major Internet safety studies have now been completed including 3 Youth Internet Safety Surveys, conducted in 2000, 2005, and 2010.  These surveys have tracked how the risks to children online have been evolving. Given how central schools are to child safety and well-being issues, we would like to increase our collaboration with schools, and particularly with schools in NH. You can find more information about CCRC research on Internet safety issues at: http://www.unh.edu/ccrc/internet-crimes/ <http://www.unh.edu/ccrc/internet-crimes/>

WHAT THE STUDY IS LOOKING AT

We are involved in a study funded by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) to develop ways to "rate" and evaluate Internet safety program materials and programs.  One goal of the project is to develop a high-quality survey that can be used in future outcome evaluation.  We believe that schools should be able to choose from programs with proven effectiveness in helping youth make smarter and safer choices when using new technologies. Right now, there are dozens of programs and materials that schools are using, but they have no information about which of these actually works.  This measure will be an important step to answering that question.

We have developed a draft instrument but need to determine if the measure is a good one and the questions "work."  We are therefore looking for schools that will partner with us to help us pilot the survey in the fall.  The anonymous results of the survey will help us make sure that the instrument is a good one and can be used to evaluate Internet safety education programs. If you are able to help us, you will be contributing to an instrument that will be eventually be made available at a national level and disseminated by NIJ, other governmental organizations, and the technology industry. PLEASE INDICATE YOUR INTEREST SOON TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FALL 2011 SURVEY.

WHAT THE PILOT SURVEY INVOLVES

§  We are looking for a range of 7-12th graders to complete online survey at some point between mid-September to end of November, 2011.

§  Online surveys will ask about Internet experiences and behaviors and will be completely anonymous.  No identifying information will be collected.

§  We have initial approval from our IRB-and have already developed parent consent forms that we can adapt and personalize for your school, depending on your needs.  We are interested in schools that are comfortable with passive consent procedures (parents respond if they do not want their child to participate in the survey).

§  We will provide whatever materials or correspondence is needed to help get needed approvals for participation.

Lisa M. Jones

Research Associate Professor, Psychology

Crimes Against Children Research Center

10 West Edge, Ste. 106

University of New Hampshire

Durham, NH 03824