[NHDOE-ETNews] ETNews: What Can School Teams Learn from Geese?

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Mon Dec 17 09:33:29 EST 2012

Today on the ETNews Listserv

ITEM:   What Can School Teams Learn from Geese?

During the fall, thousands of Canada Geese migrate from northern Canada
to the central U.S. They fly in a V-formation at speeds of 60 miles per
hour, honking constantly. They can fly for 16 hours without resting.

How do they do this? Through teamwork.

    Fact: As each goose flaps its wings it creates "uplift" for the
birds that follow. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds 71
percent greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.

    Lesson: People who share a common direction and sense of community
can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are
traveling on the thrust of one another.

    Fact: When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the
drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into
formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately
in front of it.

    Lesson: If we have as much sense as a goose we stay in formation
with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their
help and give our help to others.

    Fact: When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation
and another goose flies to the point position.

    Lesson: It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing
leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on others' skills,
capabilities and unique arrangements of gifts, talents or resources.

    Fact: The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front
to keep up their speed.

    Lesson: We need to make sure honking is encouraging. In groups where
there is encouragement the production is much greater. The power of
encouragement (to stand by one's heart or core values and encourage the
heart and core of others) is the quality of honking we seek.

    Fact: When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop
out of formation and follow it down to help and protect it. They stay
with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out
with another formation or catch up with the flock.

    Lesson: If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each
other in difficult times as well as when we are strong.

How Can We Use This?   What resonates for you?

Read the entire article by Elena Aguilar Transformational Leadership
Coach from Oakland, California, on Edutopia

http://www.edutopia.org/blog/teacher-school-teams-geese-story-elena-agui
lar

NH Department of Education    101 Pleasant Street    Concord, NH
03301

603.271.5132       Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
www.opennh.org <http://www.opennh.org/>         www.nheon.org
<http://www.nheon.org/>

"The need to know the capital of Florida died when my phone learned the
answer." ~ Anthony Chivetta, high school student in Missouri