[NHDOE-ETNews] ET News: Technology requires a shift in teaching

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Mon Dec 31 09:55:36 EST 2012

Today on the ETNews Listserv

ITEM: Technology requires a shift in teaching

What Do Students Really Need to "Know"?

Breakthrough technologies challenge the fundamental premises of schools.

By:

Will Richardson <http://www.districtadministration.com/node/1064>

District Administration, Jan 2013

Technological advances now have devices performing our work for us, such
as translating English into other languages, prompting author and
educator Will Richardson to ask what students really need to know when
they leave school. Richardson writes that rather than focusing on
providing students with knowledge, educators should instead focus on
teaching independent reasoning and thinking.

District Administration magazine
<http://www.districtadministration.com/>  (1/2013)

Read the entire article at
http://www.districtadministration.com/article/what-do-students-really-ne
ed-%E2%80%9Cknow

NH Department of Education    101 Pleasant Street    Concord, NH
03301

603.271.5132       Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
www.opennh.org <http://www.opennh.org/>         www.nheon.org
<http://www.nheon.org/>

"The need to know the capital of Florida died when my phone learned the
answer." ~ Anthony Chivetta, high school student in Missouri