[NHDOE-ETNews] USDOE Office of Educational Technology Releases New Paper on Online Learning and Productivity

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Mon Feb 13 09:57:06 EST 2012

This new report, Understanding the Implications of Online Learning for
Educational Productivity, provides foundational knowledge needed to
examine and understand the potential contributions of online learning to
educational productivity, including a conceptual framework for
understanding the necessary components of rigorous productivity
analyses, drawing in particular on cost-effectiveness analysis.

Applications of Online Learning that can improve productivity:

1) Broadening access in ways that dramatically reduce the cost of
providing access to quality educational resources and experiences,
particularly for students in remote locations or other situations where
challenges such as low student enrollments make the traditional school
model impractical;

2) Engaging students in active learning with instructional materials and
access to a wealth of resources that can facilitate the adoption of
research-based principles and best practices from the learning sciences,
an application that might improve student outcomes without substantially
increasing costs;

3) Individualizing and differentiating instruction based on student
performance on diagnostic assessments and preferred pace of learning,
thereby improving the efficiency with which students move through a
learning progression;

4) Personalizing learning by building on student interests, which can
result in increased student motivation, time on task and ultimately
better learning outcomes;

5) Making better use of teacher and student time by automating routine
tasks and enabling teacher time to focus on high-value activities;

6) Increasing the rate of student learning by increasing motivation and
helping students grasp concepts and demonstrate competency more
efficiently;

7) Reducing school-based facilities costs by leveraging home and
community spaces in addition to traditional school buildings;

8) Reducing salary costs by transferring some educational activities to
computers, by increasing teacher-student ratios or by otherwise
redesigning processes that allow for more effective use of teacher time;
and

9) Realizing opportunities for economies of scale through reuse of
materials and their large-scale distribution.

Review or download the entire report from the USDOE at:

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/os/technology/implications-online-
learning.pdf

Educational Technology and Online Learning

NH Department of Education

101 Pleasant Street   Concord, NH   03301

603.271.5132       Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov

www.opennh.org <http://www.opennh.org/>

www.nheon.org <http://www.nheon.org/>

"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and
I'll understand." ~ Chinese proverb