[NHDOE-ETNews] ET News: Humanizing Our Organizations Through Social Media

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Tue Jul 31 08:06:19 EDT 2012

Today on the ETNews Listserv

ITEM:  Humanizing Our Organizations Through Social Media

Social Media is becoming dominant in every facet of our society.  I
remember years ago, walking into a church for a concert and seeing on
their TV screens, links to their Facebook and Twitter pages and them
sharing ways that  you could connect to them.  It was interesting to
think of an institution that is usually known for being so steeped in
tradition, thinking of ways they could use this new technology to
connect with people that live in an ever-changing world.  Yet we still
see many schools and school districts fearful of what social media can
do in a negative manner to possibly the way they do their day-to-day
"business" or even the impact it can have (in a negative way) on their
reputation.

As more organizations outside of school begin to embrace social media,
we have to think about what the purpose of using social media is and how
we can learn from others.  This technology has proven to be an effective
way to learn openly, but there is also an opportunity to create a deeper
connection with those that we serve.

Read the Entire article on the The Principal of Change blog at
http://georgecouros.ca/blog/archives/3108.

NH Department of Education    101 Pleasant Street    Concord, NH
03301

603.271.5132       Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
www.opennh.org <http://www.opennh.org/>         www.nheon.org
<http://www.nheon.org/>

"The need to know the capital of Florida died when my phone learned the
answer." ~ Anthony Chivetta, high school student in Missouri