[NHDOE-ETNews] Technology Readiness Tool for Online Assessment Information

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Wed Mar 14 10:44:08 EDT 2012

The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium and the Partnership for
Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) have contracted
with Pearson to develop a Technology Readiness Tool to support states'
planning as they transition to next-generation assessments to be
launched spring 2015. This new tool assesses current school capacity and
compares that to the technology that will be needed to administer the
new online assessments in four areas-devices, device to tester ratio,
network infrastructure, and staff and personnel. The first of six data
collection windows will be this coming spring April 2 through June 14,
2012. Subsequent data collection windows will occur once each spring and
fall through 2014.

The goal of the first data collection window is to collect
easily-accessible baseline data. All local education agencies in both
consortia will be requested to use the tool to assess technology
readiness.  The tool will be populated with some data at the state level
(e.g. school name, number, and student population), and each school will
also have to upload some local data in order for the tool to properly
make a readiness evaluation.  The tool will collect baseline data which
the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium will use to determine the
minimum requirements of the online assessment.  Once the requirements
are established, subsequent collection periods will give schools the
opportunity to update their data.  The tool will then calculate the
readiness index of the school based on the gap between the minimum
requirements and the information entered by the school.  As conditions
within each school and district change over the next few years, the tool
can continue to be used to monitor changes in readiness and help
determine any changes that might be needed to achieve readiness.

The State Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA) has been
working with Pearson and both assessment consortia to help facilitate
the communication between interested parties and stakeholders in the
implementation of the assessment process.  To that end, they have
established an online community at www.assess4ed.net.  This community is
open to all interested parties and you are invited to join the
community.  There is a group for New Hampshire which has been
established on the site, which you are also invited to join.  Each state
has established a State Readiness Coordinator (SRC), who will act as
liaison between schools and the state team to help facilitate this
process.  I am our liaison for this effort (Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov,
603-271-5132).  I will work with tech directors and school staff to help
with implementation of the tool and with any issues that may occur.
Please join the Assess4Ed site, and the New Hampshire Group.  I have
placed a document in the NH documents folder regarding the file formats
for uploading your district data, and have attached the spreadsheet
formats and templates for you.  They are available on the Assess4Ed site
in the NH Group Documents folder.

Online training modules will be available on this site beginning on
March 12, 2012.  These training modules will give step-by-step
instructions for using the tool and will also assist in interpreting the
reports the tool can generate.  Look for an additional alert regarding
the availability of these modules.  A User's Guide and FAQ document will
also be available on the site.  The consortium is dedicated to providing
essential training and support to make this process a smooth one.

Please forward the appropriate information to your principals and tech
directors/coordinators.  We recommend that each school have a point
person for this process.  We will also send a message to all principals
on March 9.  On March 12, we will post a message with information on the
ET News listserv for tech directors, coordinators, and other members of
the listserv.

Thank you for your efforts in supporting the successful collection of
this data. If you need additional assistance, please contact Stan Freeda
(271-5132) or Joseph Miller (271-3594).

Some important highlights and focal points of interest to district
administration and technology leaders:

*	The tool can be used in 6 windows over 3 years in order to
monitor increased your readiness.
*	The first window (April 2 - June 14) will be used to collect
data about what is currently in place in districts.
*	The assessment requirements will be based on the results of the
data collected in this first window.
*	The tool can be used in 6 windows over 3 years in order to
monitor increased your readiness.
*	The tool will save pre-populated data (from the state) and
district entered data, so subsequent uses will only involve updating.
*	The Technology Readiness Tool assesses current capacity and
compares that to the technology that will be needed to administer the
new online assessments coming in 2014.
*	The tools considers these four areas:

	*	1. Computers & other devices
	*	2. Ratio of devices to test-takers
	*	3. Network and infrastructure
	*	4. Personnel (staffing & training)

*	The tool will be powerful for district technology committees
developing their technology plans to support online assessments in the
future.

The Training Module, User's Guide, and FAQ Documents are now available
to everyone.  Please see the following links to access the training and
documentation. You will also be able to access these resources on the
home page of the tool after you have logged in. User accounts will be
set up beginning on March 14, and you will receive an email with your
user name, instructions for setting your password, and instructions for
logging in to the tool some time prior to the April 2nd opening date.
We are still working on those issues here at the Department.

Training Module: www.TechReadiness.org/TrainingModule

User's Guide: www.TechReadiness.org/UsersGuide

FAQ Document: www.TechReadiness.org/FAQs

Sorry for the length of this posting.  I think this is all important
stuff that you will be interested in knowing.

Let me know if you have any questions, I will help you in any way I can.

Educational Technology and Online Learning

NH Department of Education

101 Pleasant Street   Concord, NH   03301

603.271.5132       Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov

www.opennh.org <http://www.opennh.org/>

www.nheon.org <http://www.nheon.org/>

"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and
I'll understand." ~ Chinese proverb