[NHDOE-ETNews] ETNews: School Broadband Test and Digital Literacy Project

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Wed Sep 5 15:47:41 EDT 2012

Today on the ETNews Listserv

ITEM:  THE NATIONAL SCHOOL BROADBAND TEST

On September 10th EducationSuperHighway will launch a National School
Broadband Test in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Education to
take an inventory of the state of Internet access in America's K-12
schools.  Our objective is to have one million teachers, librarians,
technology coordinators, administrators or students take one minute of
their time to test their school's Internet access.  That's 10 tests from
each of our 100,000 public schools. The information we gather will be
used to raise awareness of the need to upgrade the Internet access in
our schools as a prerequisite to digital learning.  It will also help
guide the allocation of $2.5 billion in annual funding for school
Internet access upgrades.  Taking the Test is as simple as coming to our
web site, selecting your school and hitting GO.  So sign up today to be
a digital learning champion for your school.  Fill out our form or like
us on Facebook - and don't forget to tell your friends and colleagues
too!

http://www.schoolspeedtest.org/

ITEM:  THE 2012-2013 CHRISTA MCAULIFFE SABBATICAL PROJECT

The Christa McAuliffe Sabbatical is awarded annually by the New
Hampshire Charitable Foundation. It provides an opportunity for one New
Hampshire teacher to explore new ways to enhance classroom teaching
through a self-designed project, the results from which may be used to
help enrich the teaching profession statewide. David Hobbs, an English
teacher at Winnacunnet High School, received the award for his proposed
project 'Digitalliteracynh.' He will spend the sabbatical year working
with teachers around the state gathering how they promote 21st century
reading and writing skills and sharing his research via a website and
blog.

http://digitalliteracynh.org/

NH Department of Education    101 Pleasant Street    Concord, NH
03301

603.271.5132       Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
www.opennh.org <http://www.opennh.org/>         www.nheon.org
<http://www.nheon.org/>

"The need to know the capital of Florida died when my phone learned the
answer." ~ Anthony Chivetta, high school student in Missouri