[NHDOE-ETNews] ET News: IWitness Video Challenge

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Mon Apr 15 08:17:40 EDT 2013

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM: IWitness Video Challenge
Announcing the IWitness Video Challenge.  The Challenge addresses a number of ISTE NETS standards, and Common Core standards.  I think that you will find the Challenge meets a number of educational technological goals and we hope that you will pass this along to teachers in your states.
During the 20th anniversary of Steven Spielberg’s Oscar-winning film, Schindler’s List, the USC Shoah Foundation launched a video essay contest called the IWitness Video Challenge for middle and high school students.
The Challenge invites students from all over the U.S. and Canada to be inspired by the voices in IWitness, to use their innovation and creativity to create positive value in their communities by doing something ordinary (or extraordinary), and then asks them to build a video telling the story about how they contributed to making their communities a better place.
We are inviting teachers to sign their classed up for the Challenge at: http://iwitness.usc.edu/SFI/IWitnessChallenge/
IWitness (iwitness.usc.edu) is an educational website that provides access to nearly 1,300 video testimonies of Holocaust survivor and other witnesses. It is designed for secondary educators and their students, and is truly an innovative and unique platform
Steven Spielberg announces the IWitness Video Challenge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUbhE0k3nn0
Educators have until June 30 to sign up to participate in the contest with their classes, with final submissions due the end of October (teachers can participate with a class in the spring, and then a new class in the fall semester).
Please feel free to contact me should you have any questions or suggestions to help us get the word out.
For more information, contact:
Kori Street, PhD
Director of Programs
USC Shoah Foundation Institute for Visual History and Education
(213)740.2516
kestreet at dornsife.usc.edu<mailto:kestreet at dornsife.usc.edu>

Watch clips of testimony on our website: http://dornsife.usc.edu/vhi/clipviewer <http://dornsife.usc.edu/vhi/clipviewer%0d>

“The need to know the capital of Florida died when my phone learned the answer.” ~ Anthony Chivetta, high school student in Missouri