[NHDOE-ETNews] ET News: What parents need to know about technology in schools

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Tue Aug 6 09:44:54 EDT 2013

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  What parents need to know about technology in schools

Public schools are failing our kids when it comes to technology. This is not anything new; people have been talking about it for years. But now is the time for someone to speak up about it, because some schools are starting to mask their inadequacies with gimmicky programs like, "Bring your iPad to school day," and new policies like, "It's OK to text in class now."

Having technology in your hands does not make you good at technology. It is not enough for kids to simply bring an iPhone to school and think that we are preparing them for the future. More likely, we're creating a new breed of champion "Angry Birds" players. And, even more likely, we're just costing the parents a lot of money because they have to replace the phone every time their kid loses it.

This article is a warning and resource guide for parents who want to know how to start teaching their kids about programming.

Read the entire article by Andy Kano on the Deseret News at http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865584118/What-parents-need-to-know-about-technology-in-schools.html

What Most Schools Don't Teach - video on You Tube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmM_xDzy2nU