[NHDOE-ETNews] ET News: The 'Monster' at the End of the Common Core

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Thu May 2 08:19:03 EDT 2013

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  The 'Monster' at the End of the Common Core

Interesting article on Education Week Teacher yesterday.  Written by one of our our NH progressive educators.

Since the Common Core State Standards emerged, people I respect have come out in opposition in a way that reminds me of a book from my childhood: The Monster at the End of This Book. In this classic, Sesame Street's Grover begs us not to turn the pages, lest we unleash the monster at the end. He becomes increasingly agitated, building walls and threatening us as we get closer to the end. His panic sounds a lot like what I hear from some of my colleagues in the educational community.

Written by Laura Thomas, Director of Antioch University's Center for School Renewal.
Published May 1 on Education Week Teacher.  Read the entire article<http://www.edweek.org/tm/articles/2013/05/01/fp_thomas_commoncore.html?tkn=YNZFlmo7PgdMn7ZVZWbneEhGWrseJp1hXTLr&cmp=ENL-TU-NEWS1>.