[NHDOE-ETNews] ET News: Leadership in a Competency-Based System

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Thu May 23 09:48:49 EDT 2013

Now you can follow ET News and keep track of it on the ET News blog<http://nhoetnews.wordpress.com/>.  Don't search through emails for those intereswting articles.  Find them posted online.

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  Leadership in a Competency-Based System

May 18, 2013 by Bill Zima on CompetencyWorks

At what point did leading a school through a continuous improvement process become so confusing? In my educational leadership classes, I spent a great deal of time focusing on what leadership is and developing a philosophy that would guide me. I thought I had it all figured out. I learned the difference between first order and second order change. I was told to have a vision, communicate it regularly, and work to make it a reality. I also needed to remember that I would be leading people and not machines. They will no longer respond to top-down dictates. If you want to make lasting change to improve education, you must include people in the conversation so they can weigh-in before they buy-in. The visual model I use has four lenses that need to be aligned so when I make a decision I am sure it passes through to continuously focus me on the work of leading reform.
Lens 1: Building a Leadership Team.
Lens 2: Action Planning.
Lens 3: Meeting Facilitation.
Lens 4: Culture.