[NHDOE-ETNews] ET News: Revising the questions that shape learning

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Thu May 30 12:29:49 EDT 2013

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM: Revising the questions that shape learning

Einstein once said, "If I had an hour to solve a problem and my life depended on the answer, I would spend the first 55 minutes figuring out the proper questions to ask. For if I knew the proper questions, I could solve the problem in less than 5 minutes."  Questions are powerful things. Socrates knew this. Einstein too. But curiosity has gotten a bad rep over the years. First there was that little incident with Prometheus, the stolen fire, Pandora and that tempting earthen jar. If only she hadn't been so curious.  Then, there is that old saw about the fate of a feline with insatiable inquisitiveness.  And the pinnacle of our assault on curiosity: Obsessive multiple-choice testing that drills answer finding over question asking.

Somehow it feels we have gotten our priorities wrong.  Are we bypassing an opportunity to ask and wrestle with the questions that might lead to sustained transformation in exchange for more statistical data?

Read the entire article on Smartblog on Education at http://smartblogs.com/education/2013/05/29/revising-the-questions-that-shape-learning/
By Jason Flom on May 29th, 2013

Follow ET News on the ET News blog<http://nhoetnews.wordpress.com/>.