[NHDOE-ETNews] ET News: Free Bandwidth Testing for your Schools

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Wed Sep 25 09:50:40 EDT 2013

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  Free Bandwidth Testing for your Schools

In preparation for the upcoming Smarter Balanced online assessments, as well as to take action on the President's new ConnectED initiative, take local steps to maximize the impact of current funds, and make the case to connect every teacher and student in New Hampshire to high-speed Internet, we need to understand what bandwidth is currently available in the classroom at our schools.  While the results of the Tech Readiness Tool suggest that bandwidth is not an issue for some schools, we do know that it is a huge issue for others.

As part of our overall plan to assist districts with technology readiness, the State Educational Technology Directors Association has partnered with the nonprofit EducationSuperHighway to offer no cost bandwidth speed tests to schools across the nation.  The organization is attempting to complete the testing this fall by coordinating a New Hampshire SchoolSpeedTest Month.  The NH Department of Education supports this effort to help districts understand their bandwidth situation.

This partnership will allow your school and the New Hampshire Department of Education to easily crowd-source data from any in-school staff member with a free online application that measures available bandwidth to a classroom device.

SchoolSpeedTest data will help find network bottlenecks, support network planning, demonstrate the need for increased connectivity/hardware funding, and support your district readiness for SBAC assessment.

Starting October 15, any person on a school network can go to http://partners.schoolspeedtest.org/new-hampshire.html, take a free SchoolSpeedTest in under a minute, and add data to our inventory.

All Technology Directors, Coordinators, Integrators, and interested parties  are invited to an informational webinar and question and answer session on this project.

School Speed Test Informational Webinar
Thursday, September 26 at 3:00 pm
Link: https://join.me/581-356-671
Audio: (805) 309-5900, ID Code 581-356-671#

Once the New Hampshire SchoolSpeedTest month ends, the New Hampshire Department of Education and your IT Director will receive a report showing the bandwidth available in each school, as well as per-student bandwidth, which will help IT staff plan more effective upgrades.

Note: This is the same school speed test that is currently posted on our NHEON Tech Readiness page<http://nheon.org/oet/readiness/index.htm>, and is currently available for use.  Participation in the School Speed Test month will allow for generation of reports, and for separation of data by state.  http://nheon.org/oet/readiness/index.htm