[NHDOE-ETNews] ET News: FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler comments on the State of the Union Address and the E-Rate Program

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Wed Jan 29 08:20:43 EST 2014

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler comments on the State of the Union Address and the E-Rate Program

“Harnessing the power of digital technology is central to improving our education system and our global competitiveness.  In the Internet age, every student in America should have access to state-of-the-art educational tools, which are increasingly interactive, individualized and bandwidth-intensive. The Federal Communications Commission shares the President’s commitment to seizing the opportunities of digital learning, which is why we’ve already launched an effort to modernize our successful E-Rate program – the nation’s largest education technology program.  By applying business-like management practices to E-Rate, we can take steps this year that will make existing funds go farther to significantly increase our investment in high-speed broadband connectivity for schools and libraries for the benefit of our students and teachers. Together, with my fellow Commissioners, Congress, educators and other stakeholders, we can ensure that all of America’s students get a 21st-century education.”

-Tom Wheeler
Chairman, Federal Communications Commission

“The need to know the capital of Florida died when my phone learned the answer.” ~ Anthony Chivetta, high school student in Missouri

Please find below a statement attributable to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler regarding tonight's State of the Union Address and the FCC's E-Rate program: