[NHDOE-ETNews] ET News: Support the Fundig of School Libraries through ESEA

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Wed Apr 8 12:13:33 EDT 2015

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  Support the Fundig of School Libraries through ESEA

Here is some news from ALA/AASL we can ALL get behind!

This Thursday, the American Library Association is joining a social media push in support of dedicated funding for school libraries through Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) and the Supporting Knowledge and Investing in Lifelong Skills (SKILLS) Act, which would expand federal investment in school libraries so they can continue to offer students the tools they need to develop the critical thinking, digital, and research skills necessary for success in the twenty-first century.

We need to tell legislators how important school libraries and librarians are to our students and we need your voice to take up the rallying cry.

Here’s how you can help:

On Thursday, April 9, 2015, between 7-8pm, post one or all of the tweets below, or create your own:
·         School libraries receive over 1.3 billion student visits a year! #getESEAright – include funding for school libraries with the SKILLS Act.
·         Studies show test scores trend higher in schools with full-time, certified school librarians. #getESEAright with the SKILLS Act.
·         Strong school libraries drive student achievement! http://ow.ly/LaDHo #getESEAright – include the SKILLS Act!
·         . at PattyMurray<mailto:. at PattyMurray> Help us #getESEAright – include the SKILLS Act! Listen to teens speak out about the importance of #libraries http://ow.ly/LaCAo
·         . at SenAlexander<mailto:. at SenAlexander> #getESEAright – include the SKILLS Act and support dedicated funding for school libraries.

For more information about ESEA and the SKILLS Act, check out our earlier post<http://www.districtdispatch.org/2015/02/school-library-funding-legislation-is-heating-up/> on the topic.

Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) and Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN) are the keys to unlocking more sustainable funding for our school libraries. Join us Thursday on the #getESEAright hashtag and let them know why they should include the SKILLS Act in ESEA.

Jessica Gilcreast
School Librarian
Yearbook Advisor
NHSLMA Conference Chair
NH AASL Delegate
Bedford High School
603.310.9000 x3420
@BHSGilcreast on Twitter

“In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with floaties and teach us to swim.” ~ Linton Weeks
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."  ~ General George S. Patton

“The need to know the capital of Florida died when my phone learned the answer.” ~ Anthony Chivetta, high school student in Missouri