[NHDOE-ETNews] Two Seats Available for National Youth Science Camp

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Mon Apr 20 12:03:06 EDT 2015

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  Two Seats Available for National Youth Science Camp

New Hampshire has two seats available for the National Youth Science Camp this summer.  The 2015 NYSC plans to operate from June 17 through July 11, 2015.

To be eligible to attend:

*         You must be a resident of one of the United States, the District of Columbia, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico, or Trinidad and Tobago.

o   If you are a resident of the United States, then you must graduate from high school between July 1, 2014, and June 30, 2015.

o   If you are a resident of one of the countries listed above, then you must be between 16 and 18 years of age on July 1, 2015, have strong skills in spoken English, and be eligible for a J1 Visa to enter the United States. Do not apply for a J1 Visa at this time; if selected, the U.S. Embassy in your country will provide assistance.

*         You must have documented superior academic proficiency, including recognition in mathematics or the sciences. You must have documented leadership abilities and social maturity through involvement in school or community activities.

*         You must have documented skills and achievements outside the realm of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics and outside the realm of academia.

*         You must demonstrate a curiosity and an eagerness to explore many and varied topics.

*         You must intend to pursue higher education and a career in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics related field.

*         You must be willing and able to participate in the entire National Youth Science Camp program.  The 2015 NYSC plans to operate from June 17 through July 11, 2015.

I am looking for two students that meet the qualifications that I can nominate to attend the camp.

There was an application process and no students applied from NH.  At this point, we would not require them to go through the online application process, but you should have the adequate documentation to show that they meet the requirements as a student. They need to be graduating high school seniors. They should have high aptitude in the STEM education areas and should be well-rounded, showing civic engagement and/or leadership.

The Science Camp is free for two students in each state.  I would hate to lose this opportunity for our students.  Please let me know if you have any qualifying students who would like to take advantage of this opportunity and I will put their name forward for nomination.