[NHDOE-ETNews] Save The Date! Chris Dede to give keynote at NH ED Tech Symposium on August 6th at St. Anselm College

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Mon Jul 13 12:05:34 EDT 2015

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  NH Ed Tech Symposium at St Anselm College on August 6

Please find attached the agenda and driving directions for the free day-long professional development event, the NH Ed Tech Symposium, at St. Anselm College in Manchester.

Folks may register for free at http://nhsymp.eventzilla.net/web/event?eventid=2139092623.

Please know also that there has been extraordinary progress in tackling the digital divide. I have been working with the leadership of the Federal Reserve which recently committed to changing federal policy regarding the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), to encourage the nation's federally chartered banks for the first time to include "digital equity" investments in their use of CRA funds. I've been working also with Kajeet, a nationwide reseller of broadband wireless plans, to create an eventually national broadband co-op enabling low-income families and communities to pool their buying power to drive down the cost of wireless broadband in even most rural as well as inner city communities nationwide.  This shift in federal CRA policy is expected to unleash eventually $200 million to $2 billion annual, conservatively, in high poverty communities.

With GovConnection's help, I'm now entering into conversation with banking leaders in NH, seeking a NH bank willing to pioneer use of CRA funds for digital equity.  The Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas and the Digital Opportunity Consortium, which I've now moved into EDC, are working on a major digital equity pilot in the Rio Grande Valley of TX, the nation's highest poverty community.  The attached gives an overview of the key dimensions of this "systemic" approach to digital equity.

In this context, I hope fervently that you each. Your colleagues in your association's leadership, and your members will attend the August 6th symposium where we'll begin to discuss the news and explore the implications for statewide collaboration to make NH the first state to close the digital divide systemically.

We'll also have Chris Dede keynoting and Robbie Melton Skyping in.  Chris will share the results of several years of Qualcomm grants for exemplary demo projects in K12 mobile learning.  Qualcomm is now entering into a new phase of grants for teacher preparation in partnership with K12 districts and I've recommended to Chris who in turn recommended to Qualcomm that NH be considered a potential grantee for this initiative. So here too, pragmatism will rule this day of conversation and planning.

Dr. Chris Dede, world renowned scholar and visionary on mobile learning, has agreed to deliver the keynote address, on lessons learned from the Qualcomm Wireless Reach initiative (https://www.qualcomm.com/company/wireless-reach), including challenges educators encounter in adopting mobile learning tools and teaching strategies and how to address them.  In addition to a showcase offering participants with hands-on access to leading edge learning technologies, there will be interactive presentations on:

  *   Strategies that engage linguistically diverse youths in providing tech support at home, school and in the community
  *   An unprecedented plan to launch a nationwide nonprofit broadband co-op delivering low-cost wireless access for low-income learners and their families
  *   Expansion of the Habit of Mind initiative, assisting current and future educators to tap full-text online research resources to address their pressing priorities for improving their students' learning
And, of course, with Robbie Melton joining us again, we';ll all be amazed by what new incredible apps and devices the's discovered since we last heard from her.

Please let me know if you would like to be added or deleted from the draft agenda's proposed list of conference co=-sponsors, as I've not heard from several of you yet.  Many thanks.

Many warm regards,

Bob
Robert T. McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Director, Leadership for Learning Innovation
Education Development Center
43 Foundry Avenue
Waltham, MA 02453
Tel. 1.617.618.2725