[NHDOE-ETNews] Office of Educational Technology Presentations at the Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Mon Nov 9 12:17:36 EST 2015

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  Office of Educational Technology Presentations at the Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference

The Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference<http://nhcmtc.org> is rapidly approaching (Nov 30-Dec 3).  Have you made your plans to attend yet?  As many of you are in the process I wanted to remind you that the Monday pre-conference has several full and half day sessions.
I am presenting three separate topics at this year's conference, and invite you to attend any or all of my workshops, should they fit your needs.  If not, there are plenty of other great opportunities for sharing and learning at the conference, so please register soon.
e-Learning for Educators, OPEN NH, and You    Tuesday, 12-1 PM
Does your district have enough funds to meet its professional development needs?  Do you have the time to go to an all day workshop?  If you're like most teachers, the answer to those questions is "no."  The NH Department of Education offers support for teachers with limited time and money for professional development with the NH e-Learning for Educators program.  New Hampshire e-Learning for Educators is run out of the Office of Educational Technology at the NH Department of Education and offers you high quality, cost effective professional development that can increase both your content knowledge and your teaching skills, through OPEN NH. OPEN NH offers facilitated, 7-week courses, and self paced tutorials, delivered in an asynchronous format, and 100% online. No more driving, or trying to find a substitute!  You can do it all in an online in a format that gives you the flexibility you need!  In this workshop, you will get a brief orientation to the NH e-Learning for Educators project, preparing to celebrate its 10th Anniversary, and an introduction to our asynchronous, online, discussion based learning model.  You will collaboratively experience an OPEN NH online course through activities that simulate our online course delivery.  A discussion of the flexibility of professional development opportunities available through OPEN NH will be followed by a brainstorming session on what would specifically meet your professional development needs as a teacher in the 21st Century. You are encouraged to bring a laptop with wireless connectivity to access online resources, but it is not a requirement for participation.

At this session, I hope to share information about our OPEN NH program and get some ideas for new courses and tutorials that are needed.

Next Generation Technology Plans & Planning    Wednesday, 1:30 - 2:30 PM
In this session participants will collaborate and share ideas on improving our state and district technology plans.  With the approval of the new minimum standards, and the need for a new state educational technology plan, the guidelines for development of our NH District Technology Plans also need to be revisited.  For over a year, a team of NH educators worked on three distinct elements of upgrade: the technology plan evaluation process, the technology plan framework and rubric, and the minimum standards update for ICT literacy.  This workshop will be an open forum for discussion regarding the revision of both the state technology plan and district technology plan framework. We will discuss ways to connect those plans to the NH ICT Literacy Standards, the National Educational Technology Plan, and the NH College and Career Ready Standards.  Finally, we will discuss the needs of district technology committees in terms of support and resources for the development and implementation of next generation technology plans are.  You are encouraged to bring a laptop with wireless connectivity to access online resources, but it is not a requirement for participation.

At this session, I hope to discuss tech surveys and data collection that we can use and share.

Achieving ICT Literacy Through Student Digital Portfolios (with Marcia McCaffrey, DOE Arts Consultant)   THursday, 1-2:00 PM
The New Hampshire Minimum Standards for School Approval has required the generation of student digital portfolios for the past 10 years.  Yet districts still struggle with how to implement this requirement in a meaningful and non-intrusive way.  With so many initiatives taking time and energy away from teaching, demonstration of ICT Literacy through digital portfolios has often been left behind, due to lack of time and proper funding.  Yet, student portfolio development can be a powerful tool to support personalized, performance-based learning, student voice, world class knowledge and skills, anytime/anywhere learning, and a system of support for students having difficulties.  Portfolio development engages students in new and innovative ways that deepen the learning experience by adding metacognitive practices into the learning and assessment system.  This workshop is designed to be an open forum for conversation and discussion around the development and assessment of K-8 student portfolios, and how they can engage and empower students through the media arts.  Whether you are classroom content or specialty teacher, technology integrator, or provide technology support, this experience will help you to understand how to develop and improve the learning experiences of your students.  You are encouraged to bring a laptop with wireless connectivity to access online resources, but it is not a requirement for participation.

At this session, Marcia and I hope to discuss ways in the Arts can be used to support ICT Student Portfolios.