[NHDOE-ETNews] The NH School Connectivity Initiative Seeks to Help Increase Broadband and Connectivity in New Hampshire.

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Wed Oct 21 10:54:08 EDT 2015

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  The NH School Connectivity Initiative Seeks Your help with Data Collection

Tech Directors and Coordinators:

The New Hampshire Department of Education is spearheading a new collaborative initiative to enhance broadband connectivity to our K-12 schools.  The New Hampshire School Connectivity Initiative (NHSCI) is supported by the Governor's office and, in addition to the Department of Education, includes the New Hampshire Department of Information Technology, the New Hampshire Department of Resources and Economic Development, and the University of New Hampshire.

The first goal in this initiative is to collect and refresh the current state of broadband connectivity and then merge that data with the current E-Rate data for New Hampshire.  This data collection effort is being coordinated by UNH and the Education Sub-Committee of the NH Governor's Telecommunications Planning and Development Advisory Board (TAB) who have jointly engaged Michael Blair to perform the data gathering.

The purpose of this email is to notify you that you will be contacted shortly by Michael Blair and we ask that you provide timely and accurate information about the broadband service in your schools and districts in support of this important initiative.  Michael will be calling districts and sending webforms to your schools to help in this process.  This data gathering effort will inform the next steps to be taken by NHSCI and the TAB in their efforts to enhance connectivity and return more E-Rate funds to New Hampshire.  Michael will be starting the data collection shortly.

In addition, NHSCI recommends that school districts participate in the New Hampshire SpeakUp survey.  The SpeakUp survey is part of a national initiative to learn what K-12 students, teachers, administrators, parents, and community members think about our uses of technology and digital learning in our schools and homes.  The survey is open to anyone, but districts that register to take the survey as a district will receive their SpeakUp survey data in return.  The data will be useful to both individual districts and NHSCI in understanding our connectivity issues and needs, and will help up set goals and priorities for the future of digital learning in New Hampshire.  Learn more about the survey and register your district at www.Tomorrow.org/SpeakUp/NewHampshire.html<http://www.Tomorrow.org/SpeakUp/NewHampshire.html>.  The surveys are open through December 18, 2015.  Please register your districts and promote to your school community as soon as you can.

We ask that your districts participate fully in these efforts.  Your  participation is vital to moving New Hampshire forward successfully.   Thank you in advance for supporting these efforts.