[NHDOE-ETNews] Please Support Kim Carter and NHSLMA with your Vote for Nellie Mae Education Foundation's Lawrence W. O’Toole Award

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Tue May 31 16:23:10 EDT 2016

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  Please Support Kim Carter and NHSLMA with your Vote for Nellie Mae Education Foundation's Lawrence W. O’Toole Award

One of our own New Hampshire School Library Media Association members, Kim Carter,  is one of six individuals nominated for the Nellie Mae Education Foundation's Lawrence W. O’Toole Award which Recognizes Innovative Education Practices in New England.  This is a $100,000 Grant.  Last year, the NH nominee for the O’Toole Leadership award, Sanborn Regional High School in Kingston, was the recipient, in no small part due to the wonderful work being done there by AASL Board member and NH School Librarian extraordinaire, Pam Harland. While I am biased and think it would be be great to keep NH's winning streak going, more importantly we have the opportunity to continue to demonstrate the transformational power of school librarians with another AASL/NHSLMA member in the mix.

Some of you may remember that when she was building-based, Kim was the first school librarian ever to be designated a "State Teacher of the Year."  She went on to lead NHSLMA (then NHEMA) as President as well as receive recognition as the NH Library Media Educator of the Year.  Interested in school reform, she eventually turned to constructing a new paradigm for learning based around the core values and skills that school librarians bring to the table through the development of an innovative, award-winning, alternative high school.  She is now the CEO of the Q.E.D. Foundation<http://qedfoundation.org/> (full disclosure - I am a Board member) and oversees two public charter schools that are student-centered and competency-based and she is widely recognized for her work in this area.

The public has the chance to vote for a winner from Monday, May 23rd at 12:00 pm EST until Friday, June 3, 2016 at 12:00 pm EST and I hope you will consider doing just that.  You can cast ballots online or via text. Voting information is available the Students at the Center Hub (http://studentsatthecenterhub.org/votenow). Brief video profiles for each nominee can also be found at the voting website.

If you vote by email, you’ll need to make sure you have white-listed the domains  PollDaddy.com<http://polldaddy.com/> and PollDaddy.net<http://polldaddy.net/> (to confirm your vote).  If you run into any technical difficulties, please check out the troubleshooting information on the Hub website. There is an email posted there that you can report any issues to as well.

Find and Like the NH Office of Educational Technology on Facebook!

“The need to know the capital of Florida died when my phone learned the answer.” ~ Anthony Chivetta, high school student in Missouri