[NHDOE-ETNews] Samsung Solve for Tomorrow Eduication Contest Applications Close November 15

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Tue Nov 1 10:53:27 EDT 2016

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  Samsung Solve for Tomorrow Eduication Contest Applications Close November 15

Samsung is excited to announce the 7th annual Samsung Solve for Tomorrow education contest, open to public schools grades 6 - 12. To date, we have seen amazing creative approaches to solving community issues and that is why this year, we have decided to bring that creativity to the forefront and shift the contest focus to STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) subjects. By shifting to STEAM we are celebrating the important connection between creative and critical thinking in combination with the collaborative approach that has always been at the core of Solve for Tomorrow. All while allowing schools the chance to win a share of $2 million in technology and prizes from Samsung and its partners.

Samsung Solve for Tomorrow has always been about community-based learning and this year is no exception. In fact, we have added additional benefits to the program that will help communities, students and schools collectively create greater change.

*         To help enhance schools' solutions to local community issues, Samsung will provide funding to state winning schools to help build their solutions. We've also partnered with a crowdfunding site to help raise additional funds to put towards the projects.

*         To help schools' projects affect even greater change in the community, and to show the students that their hard work pays off, Samsung will make a donation in the national winning schools' name to a local nonprofit organization of their choice.
In addition to the above mentioned, we will be awarding five teachers in every state including Washington D.C. a Galaxy Tab. There will also be one winner from each state that will receive a $25,000 technology package for their school.
Fifteen National Finalists will receive a trip to attend our pitch event where they will present their project to a panel of judges. Finally the selected three National Winners will be invited to attend a final awards celebration in addition to receiving a $150,000 technology package for their school. Solve for Tomorrow schools have been nationally recognized and featured in publications and broadcasts like CBS News<http://www.cbsnews.com/news/samsung-solve-for-tomorrow-honors-student-stem-problem-solvers/> and have been able to present their project at national conferences and events like the White House Science Fair<https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/04/08/science-fair-2016-meet-next-generation-americas-innovators>.
I hope you'll consider applying and sharing this information with colleagues.  I'd be happy to speak with you if you have any further questions on the program, my contact information can be found below. Visit www.samsung.com/solve<http://www.samsung.com/solve> to learn more or apply! Applications close November 15th.

Bree Falato
Samsung Electronics America, Inc.  | Corporate Citizenship
85 Challenger Road | Ridgefield Park | New Jersey | 07660 | bfalato at sea.samsung.com<mailto:bfalato at sea.samsung.com>
(desk) 201.229.4789 | (mobile) 201.289.6704
Online Application is simple with the main questions:

*         What is the most difficult issue faced by your school's community? - 100 words

*         Explain how you could apply STEAM to address the above issue? (Please note you will be asked to execute this project.) - 100 words

*         How can creative thinking be incorporated into this project? - 100 words

*         REQUIRED - By checking this box I represent that I have read and agree to comply with the Official Rules. I also understand and agree that Samsung shall own my entry, including all elements therein.

Find and Like the NH Office of Educational Technology on Facebook!