[NHDOE-ETNews] Special Showing of “Screenagers” Monday Night at the Christa McAuliffe Conference

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Mon Nov 14 08:19:27 EST 2016

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  Special Showing of “Screenagers” Monday Night at the Christa McAuliffe Conference

Last year we offered a free parent forum titled Cyberbullying, Sexting, & Unwise Social Networking: The Role of Parents, presented by one of our distinguished keynote speakers, Sameer Hinduja, co-director of the Cyberbulling Research Center as part of the 2015 Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference.  This forum, which over 125 families attended, was so well received we have another invitation we are asking you to help us distribute!

This year the 2016 Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference invites parents and teenagers to join us for a FREE showing of the award-winning documentary Screenagers, followed by questions and answers with a panel of educators and administrators. Screenagers is an hour-long documentary by physician and filmmaker Delaney Ruston, who probes into the vulnerable corners of family life, including her own, to explore struggles over social media, video games, academics, and internet addiction.  The average kid spends 6.5 hours a day looking at screens. She wondered about the impact of all this time and about the friction occurring in homes and schools around negotiating screen time—friction she knew all too well.

Are you watching kids scroll through life, with their rapid-fire thumbs and a six-second attention span?  Through poignant, and unexpectedly funny stories, along with surprising insights from authors, psychologists, and brain scientists, Screenagers reveals how tech time impacts kids’ development and offers solutions on how adults can empower kids to best navigate the digital world and find balance.

Light refreshments will be served.  Screenagers is appropriate for adults and teens.