[NHDOE-ETNews] Hearing on State E-rate Fiber Build Matching Fund Scheduled

Freeda, Stanley Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Wed Apr 26 09:44:18 EDT 2017

Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM:  Hearing on State E-rate Fiber Build Matching Fund Scheduled

The request below will be sent to the superintendents by the NH Department of Education.  Please consider attending the hearing, if at all possible.  Your support, and that of your superintendent, could help.

"As you may already know, the New Hampshire Department of Education has requested $4 million be reserved in the state budget to fund our E-rate fiber build state match fund. The FF's e-rate program supports new fiber construction to increase bandwidth and will fund an additional 10% above the district's e-rate funding percentage, providing that the state also matches 10%. This additional funding would help NH schools cover more of the construction costs of building capacity for fiber infrastructure that supports digital learning. Because of the late start, this request did not make it into the Governor's budget, but the Department is attempting to get this funded.

The Senate will have a Capital Budget hearing for DOE on Friday, May 5 at 10:00 AM. Legislators always look more favorably on requests if they understand its importance to local schools and businesses.  It would be a great help if you could attend and share where you are in trying to bring broad band to your schools and your community. If your school is currently planning fiber construction, or is considering fiber construction in the coming year, please consider attending this meeting and providing information as to why the state matching fund could assist in your efforts. Consider bringing your technology director along with you. If your schedule does not permit attendance, please consider sending the technology director to represent your district in your place.

We appreciate your support in preparing our students for the 21st century learning. We will keep you posted on our progress and next steps."

Find and Like the NH Office of Educational Technology on Facebook!