[NHDOE-ETNews] Ed Tech Policy Update May 22 - 26, 2017
Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Thu May 25 15:36:34 EDT 2017
Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM: Ed Tech Policy Update May 22 - 26, 2017
* The House Education and Workforce Committee unanimously approved legislation (H.R 2353) to update the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act. We expect the full House to consider the measure within the next few weeks.
* Rep. Ron Estes (KS-4) joined the House Education and the Workforce Committee, as well as the Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Development and the Subcommittee on Health, Employment, Labor and Pensions.
* Chiefs for Change announced the addition of four new members: William Hite (Philadelphia Superintendent), Candice McQueen (Tennessee Education Commissioner), Kunjan Narechania (Superintendent of the Recovery School District in Louisiana), and Paymon Rouhanifard (Superintendent of Camden City School District in New Jersey).
* Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is expected to reveal details about the administration's school choice plan on Monday.
Every Student Succeeds Act News:
* South Dakota released a high level summary<http://doe.sd.gov/board/packets/documents/051517/item6doc1a.pdf> of its draft consolidated state plan. The complete draft will be released before the end of May.
* New Hampshire released its Draft Consolidated ESSA State Plan<https://www.education.nh.gov/essa/documents/state-plan.pdf> and opens it for public comment. Provide Public Comment through this Public Comment Survey<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/J3NPZC9>. Find out more at the NHDOE ESSA Page<https://www.education.nh.gov/essa/index.htm>.
* H.R.2536<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2536?r=3> - To provide for grants for energy efficiency improvements and renewable energy improvements at public school facilities. Sponsor: Rep. Loebsack, David [D-IA-2]<https://www.congress.gov/member/david-loebsack/L000565>
* H.R.2526<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2526?r=4> - To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to reinstate the authority of the Secretary of Education to make Federal Direct Stafford Loans to graduate and professional students. Sponsor: Rep. Chu, Judy [D-CA-27]<https://www.congress.gov/member/judy-chu/C001080>
* H.R.2525<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2525?r=5> - To improve the financial literacy of students. Sponsor: Rep. Cartwright, Matt [D-PA-17]<https://www.congress.gov/member/matt-cartwright/C001090>
* H.R.2490<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2490?r=11> - To amend title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 in order to increase the amount of financial support available for working students. Sponsor: Rep. Bera, Ami [D-CA-7]<https://www.congress.gov/member/ami-bera/B001287>
* H.R.2482<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2482?r=13> - To extend temporarily the Federal Perkins Loan program, and for other purposes. Sponsor: Rep. Stefanik, Elise M. [R-NY-21]<https://www.congress.gov/member/elise-stefanik/S001196>
* H.R.2477<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2477?r=14> - To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to provide for the refinancing of certain Federal student loans, and for other purposes. Sponsor: Rep. Courtney, Joe [D-CT-2]<https://www.congress.gov/member/joe-courtney/C001069>
* H.R.2475<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2475?r=15> - To provide for the long-term improvement of public school facilities, and for other purposes. Sponsor:Rep. Scott, Robert C. "Bobby" [D-VA-3]<https://www.congress.gov/member/robert-scott/S000185>
* H.R.2353<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2353?r=16> - Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act Sponsor: Rep. Thompson, Glenn [R-PA-5]<https://www.congress.gov/member/glenn-thompson/T000467>
* H.R.2451<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2451?r=20> - Pell Grant Preservation and Expansion Act Sponsor: Rep. Davis, Susan A. [D-CA-53]<https://www.congress.gov/member/susan-davis/D000598>
* H.R.2434<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2434?r=21> - College Transparency Act Sponsor: Rep. Mitchell, Paul [R-MI-10]<https://www.congress.gov/member/paul-mitchell/M001201>
* S.1183<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1183?r=2> - A bill to establish a third-party quality system assessment program. Sponsor: Sen. Donnelly, Joe [D-IN]<https://www.congress.gov/member/joe-donnelly/D000607>
* S.1176<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1176?r=3> - A bill to amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to establish a simplified income-driven repayment plan, and for other purposes. Sponsor: Sen. King, Angus S., Jr. [I-ME]<https://www.congress.gov/member/angus-king/K000383>
* S.1155<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1155?r=4> - A bill to amend title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 in order to increase the amount of financial support available for working students. Sponsor: Sen. Baldwin, Tammy [D-WI]<https://www.congress.gov/member/tammy-baldwin/B001230>
* S.1138<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1138?r=7> - A bill to rescind $500,000 a week from the Office of the Secretary of Education until the Secretary of Education reconsiders Upward Bound applications that were rejected due to arbitrary formatting. Sponsor: Sen. Tester, Jon [D-MT]<https://www.congress.gov/member/jon-tester/T000464>
* S.1136<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1136?r=8> - A bill to improve the structure of the Federal Pell Grant program, and for other purposes. Sponsor: Sen. Hirono, Mazie K. [D-HI]<https://www.congress.gov/member/mazie-hirono/H001042>
* S.1135<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1135?r=9> - A bill to amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to clarify the Federal Pell Grant duration limits of borrowers who attend an institution of higher education that closes or commits fraud or other... Sponsor: Sen. Warren, Elizabeth [D-MA]<https://www.congress.gov/member/elizabeth-warren/W000817>
* S.1125<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1125?r=11> - A bill to amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to provide Federal Pell Grants to Iraq and Afghanistan veteran's dependents. Sponsor: Sen. Kaine, Tim [D-VA]<https://www.congress.gov/member/timothy-kaine/K000384>
* S.1121<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1121?r=13> -College Transparency Act Sponsor: Sen. Hatch, Orrin G. [R-UT]<https://www.congress.gov/member/orrin-hatch/H000338>
Get even more ET News on the ET News blog<http://nhoetnews.wordpress.com/>.
Find and Like the NH Office of Educational Technology on Facebook!
ET News is a service of the Office of Educational Technology
NH Department of Education 101 Pleasant Street Concord, NH 03301
For more information, contact
603.271.5132 Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov<mailto:sfreeda at ed.state.nh.us> www.education.nh.gov/instruction/ed_tech/<http://www.education.nh.gov/instruction/ed_tech/index.htm> www.opennh.org<http://www.opennh.org/> www.nheon.org<http://www.nheon.org/>
"The need to know the capital of Florida died when my phone learned the answer." ~ Anthony Chivetta, high school student in Missouri
The contents of this message are confidential. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, use or dissemination (either whole or in part) is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments from your system.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the NHDOE-ETNews