[NHDOE-ETNews] Federal Policy Update May 29 – June 2, 2017
Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov
Wed May 31 08:56:29 EDT 2017
Today on the ETNews Listserv
ITEM: Federal Policy Update May 29 – June 2, 2017
* The Trump Administration released the president's FY18 budget request last week. The budget materials can be found here<https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/budget.pdf>, agency breakdowns can be found here<https://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Appendix>, and the OMB Appendix can be found here<https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/appendix.pdf>.
* Christina Kishimoto became Hawaii's next state superintendent. Currently, Kishimoto is superintendent at Gilbert Public Schools in Gilbert, AZ.
* The Department of Education released a Fiscal Year 2018 Budget Summary <https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/budget18/summary/18summary.pdf> document, which provides additional detail about the president's budget request.
* The Department of Education formed a 15 person committee to make recommendations on the Department's potential reorganization. A memo about the committee from the Department's Chief of Staff, Josh Venable, can be found here<https://www.politicopro.com/f/?id=0000015c-32e8-dcef-abff-73ebe6b10001>. (Politico)
* Education Secretary DeVos indicated, during the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Education Hearing, that the Department is reconsidering Upward Bound applications that were rejected due to formatting errors.
* James Runcie, chief operating office of the Office of Federal Student Aid, unexpectedly resigned from the Department of Education after seven years of service.
Every Student Succeeds Act News:
* California<http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/es/draftplantoolkit.asp> released the first draft of the state's ESSA Plan – the public comment period will be open through June 30.
* H.R.2590<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2590?r=23> To authorize the Secretary of Education to carry out a program to increase access to prekindergarten through grade 12 computer science education. Sponsor: Rep. Lee, Barbara [D-CA-13]<https://www.congress.gov/member/barbara-lee/L000551>
* S.1270<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1270?r=1> A bill to direct the Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy to carry out programs and activities to ensure that Federal science agencies and institutions of higher education... Sponsor: Sen. Hirono, Mazie K. [D-HI]<https://www.congress.gov/member/mazie-hirono/H001042>
* S.1246<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1246?r=5> A bill to increase the participation of historically underrepresented demographic groups in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education and industry. Sponsor: Sen. Hirono, Mazie K. [D-HI]<https://www.congress.gov/member/mazie-hirono/H001042>
* S.1245<https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1245?r=6> A bill to award career pathways innovation grants to local educational agencies and consortia of local educational agencies, to provide technical assistance within the Office of Career, Technical... Sponsor: Sen. Franken, Al [D-MN]<https://www.congress.gov/member/al-franken/F000457>
Get even more ET News on the ET News blog<http://nhoetnews.wordpress.com/>.
Find and Like the NH Office of Educational Technology on Facebook!
ET News is a service of the Office of Educational Technology
NH Department of Education 101 Pleasant Street Concord, NH 03301
For more information, contact
603.271.5132 Stanley.Freeda at doe.nh.gov<mailto:sfreeda at ed.state.nh.us> www.education.nh.gov/instruction/ed_tech/<http://www.education.nh.gov/instruction/ed_tech/index.htm> www.opennh.org<http://www.opennh.org/> www.nheon.org<http://www.nheon.org/>
“The need to know the capital of Florida died when my phone learned the answer.” ~ Anthony Chivetta, high school student in Missouri
The contents of this message are confidential. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, use or dissemination (either whole or in part) is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments from your system.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the NHDOE-ETNews